Summer 2018 Interns!!Posted by Keli'i Kotubetey on June 14, 2018
We are super stoked and excited to welcome these new “pua” to our fishpond this summer. These six young adults were selected as our 2018 Ma Ka Hana Ka ʻIke summer interns and weʻd like to introduce you to them:
- Aokea West is from Kaʻaʻawa. A graduate of Kahuku high school, he currently works as an teacher aide in Puohala Elementaryʻs Hawaiian language immersion program and also attends Windward Community College. In his free time he enjoying being out and enjoying nature, hiking, going to the beach and just observing his natural surroundings.
- Joshlyn (Joshy) Noga is from Kalihi. Most recently she was a long-term substitute teacher at King Intermediate school and thoroughly enjoys working on the ʻāina at her different farming projects. She says that nothing beats waking up in the morning with smile on your face and going to work somewhere on the ʻāina.
- Kainalu Aduca is also from Kalihi. He is a senior at Kaimuki high school and most enjoys hanging at the beach with his friends.
- Jahrius Adams-Clarke is from Hauʻula. He will be a senior at Hakipuʻu Learning Center and loves to surf and dive anywhere on the East side of Oʻahu.
- Makana Andrade is from Kalihi. He recently graduated from Kamehameha – Kapālama and will be heading to UH-Hilo next school year and hopes to major in environmental science. Going to the beach, cruising with friends, and lots of sleep make him the most happy.
- Kawai Mielke is from Kaimuki. She just graduated from Punahou and will go to UH-Mānoa this fall. She really enjoys doing things with her family including surfing, hiking, and being outdoors.
BUT WAIT!!!! THAT’S NOT IT!!!!
We have 4 more interns who came to us through two different programs. Here they are:
- Paige Hamada is from Pearl City and is interning with us through the UH-Hilo PIPES (Pacific Internship Program for Exploring Science) program. She is going to her 3rd year at Leeward Community College and simply enjoys any kind of mālama ʻāina action for fun.
- Katherine Kirchner is from Dublin, Ohio and is interning with us through the CISAbroad Program. She is about to start her junior year at the University of Dayton and is studying environmental biology and communication. She enjoys live music, being with friends and family, and definitely playing center on her club basketball team.
- Shannon Borucke is from Long Island, New York and is also interning throught he CISAbroad Program. She is studying environmental ecology at Binghamton University in upstate New York. She loves to hike, bike, work at her part-time landscaping job and just enjoy the outdoors.
- Hoʻolaʻa White is from Papakolea and will be a junior at Roosevelt high school.